Can Adults Get Braces?
Orthodontic treatment is for everyone with healthy teeth and jawbones, including adults, and according to the American Association of Orthodontists, 1 in 4 orthodontic patients are adults. People have realized that braces aren’t just for children or teens — orthodontic treatment is for anyone who wants a more confident smile and to enjoy the benefits of improved oral health at any age.
Why are More Adults Getting Braces?
There are several reasons why more and more adults are choosing to get braces, such as:
- Accessibility and Affordability: Today’s options for adult braces offer you treatment methods that are more comfortable, less noticeable, and customized for your unique needs. With options like clear braces and Invisalign, you can choose to straighten your smile with barely anyone noticing. Orthodontic treatment advancements have made it more accessible and affordable. Additionally, more and more insurance companies are now covering adult braces making the treatment more financially accessible, especially to those who couldn’t get braces as a child but can afford it now.
- Better oral health: Getting a straighter smile requires good overall dental health. Routine dental care has led to more adults who have healthy teeth and jawbones with no present gum disease than ever before.
- Had braces as a kid and teeth have shifted back: Some adults had braces in their teenage years, but their teeth gradually shifted over time and became crooked or misaligned again, possibly due to not correctly wearing a retainer.
Orthodontic Care for Adults in Swanton, OH
Depending on your circumstances and goals, we may recommend any of the following orthodontic treatment options for adolescent or adult patients:
- Metal Braces: This is the most common type of treatment and has been a popular method to straighten teeth for a long time. Traditional metal braces can fix many simple to complex orthodontic issues, including severe teeth crowding, malocclusions (bite problems), crooked teeth, and gapped teeth. Traditional braces involve putting metal brackets onto the teeth and attaching them to stainless steel wires and elastic bands. The wires provide constant, gentle force to move your teeth into the desired position. However, the design of modern metal braces allows them to be much smaller, flatter, and more comfortable than ever before.
- Invisalign®: If you don’t like the thought of your teeth being stuck with braces for a year or two, Invisalign® is a discreet option to treat mild to moderate orthodontic concerns like crooked teeth or bite issues such as overbite, underbite, open bite, or crossbite. Invisalign® uses a system of progressive, custom-fit, and virtually clear aligners to gently move teeth into their proper position. Unlike metal braces, the aligners are removable, allowing you to easily eat, drink and clean your teeth.
- Six-Month Smiles®: Have you always wanted to straighten your smile but thought it would take a year or more? Now, there’s a way to achieve straight teeth quickly – Six Month Smiles®. This is a quick and easy way to fix minor orthodontic issues like 1-2 crooked teeth. Unlike other orthodontic treatments that move all your teeth, Six Month Smiles® only focuses on straightening the teeth that are visible when smiling, giving you the results you want faster. You’ll notice changes to the alignment of your front teeth within the first few weeks of being fitted. This treatment is also discreet as it uses tooth-colored brackets.
Schedule Your Consultation Today!
It’s never too late for a healthy, beautiful smile. If you are considering seeking out orthodontic care in Swanton, OH, our experienced team at Believe Dental Care can help. We’ll evaluate your smile and create a personalized treatment plan that meets your needs and goals. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!