Dental Exams in Swanton, OH
Brushing and flossing help you fight against tooth decay, bad breath, and gum disease. However, cleaning your teeth every day at home is only part of a successful oral hygiene routine. Routine visits to the dentist help keep your mouth in top shape and allow your dentist to watch for developments that may point to other health issues. A dental exam is an important part of preventive dental care that helps dentists detect poor nutrition and hygiene, improper jaw alignment, and signs of developing oral and overall health problems.
Why Do I Need a Dental Exam?
Everyone should go for a dental checkup. These routine visits allow us to find any dental problems and other oral health issues you might not have noticed. Without regular visits to the dentist, untreated conditions will likely become painful and difficult to treat down the road.
Here are four reasons you should schedule your next dental exam as soon as possible:
- Prevent cavities: Dental exams provide regular opportunities for our dentists to check your teeth for signs of tooth decay – that way, we can start treatment sooner to save your tooth.
- Prevent gum disease: Not getting your teeth cleaned professionally puts you at risk for gum diseases such as gingivitis or periodontitis. Periodontitis is irreversible, so catching gum disease in its early stages is key to a full recovery. By seeing our dentists regularly, we can monitor the health of your gums and help you adopt good oral care habits to protect you from gum disease.
- Detecting oral cancer early: When detected early, oral cancer is treatable. Our dental team is trained to look for signs of oral cancer.
- Detecting other health issues: Most times, your mouth is the first place health issues show up. Most systemic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, oral cancer, kidney disease, leukemia, and pancreatic cancer have oral manifestations, including swollen gums, mouth ulcers, dry mouth, and excessive gum problems. Our dentist can detect these problems during a dental exam and refer you to your primary physician for further examination.
How Often Should I Get a Dental Checkup?
We recommend coming to our Swanton, OH dental practice for a dental checkup every six months. However, depending on your specific oral health needs, we may recommend you visit us more frequently. For example, people with gum disease, weak immune response to bacterial infection, those who tend to get cavities or plaque buildup, and people who suffer from dry mouth need to come for a dental checkup more often.
What Happens at a Routine Dental Exam?
A routine dental checkup typically takes between 40 minutes to 1 hour. Here’s what you can expect during a dental exam at our Swanton practice:
- Dental X-rays: A dental X-ray allows us to see detailed images of specific sections of your mouth to help diagnose problems not visible during the dental exam.
- Evaluate teeth, gums, and joints: Our dentist will examine your teeth for cavities and tooth decay and check for any problems with fillings, braces, bridges, dentures, crowns, or other restorations. We’ll also check your gums for signs of gum disease and evaluate how well your upper and lower teeth come together.
- Oral cancer screening: We’ll look over the inside of your mouth to check for signs of oral cancer such as red or white patches, mouth sores, other abnormalities. We will also examine your throat and neck for lumps. The survival rate for cancer is good if the disease is detected during the early stages.
- Diagnosis and treatment planning if necessary: The professional and experienced team at Believe Dental Care of Swanton will analyze the condition of your mouth, diagnose any potential oral health problems, and come up with a treatment plan for any concerns that need to be addressed.
Dental Exam Cost
Generally, two exams will be covered by your dental insurance plan on an annual basis, but this will depend on your dental insurance plan, so be sure to consult with your insurance provider.
Schedule Your Dental Checkup Today!
Keeping a regular schedule of dental appointments is essential to prevent problems and protect your oral and overall health. At Believe Dental Care of Swanton, we truly get to know you. In an age where you go to the doctor, and it’s a rotating door, you will see the same doctor every time, and they will know your history – this way, we will be able to identify issues more quickly. Our professional and friendly staff will ensure that you have a positive and comfortable experience. Contact us today to schedule your next dental exam appointment.