Pediatric Dentistry in Swanton, OH
Nurturing our children’s teeth during each stage of development is critical to their oral and overall health. Baby teeth are the starting ground for adult teeth – so when baby teeth are healthy, it’s easier for adult teeth to come in healthier and straighter. At Believe Dental Care of Swanton, we provide pediatric dentistry services designed to ensure your child’s teeth are taken care of from a young age so that they develop into healthy adult teeth. We make the experience exciting and fun so that kids like coming for visits.
What is a Family Dentist?
A designated pediatric dentist only sees children ages 1-18, whereas a family dentist sees patients of all ages. When you bring your child to Believe Dental Care of Swanton, we build a lasting relationship with them that continues into adulthood.
When Should Kids Start Seeing a Dentist?
While at-home dental care can begin from the day your child is born – ensuring the gums are clean and healthy – dental visits should start around the age of three or when you believe they can sit in a dental chair. After that, make regular dental visits to Believe Dental Care every six months. We may recommend more frequent visits if there are issues or extra care is needed.
Benefits of Regular Pediatric Dentist Visits
The benefits of taking your child to the dentist are greater if you start taking them for a check-up as recommended and will assist in the following:
- Eliminates dental anxiety: Dental anxiety is a serious issue that many adults face, but children, especially, tend to develop it early. Dental phobia and dental anxiety can cause your child to delay or avoid dental treatment later in life. Getting your child accustomed to going at an early age can help them overcome dental anxiety. Over time, children will feel more at ease, and dentist’s visits will be less problematic with regular pediatric dentist visits.
- Proactive dental care: Risks for decay and discoloration begin with a child’s first baby tooth. When your child’s teeth are checked regularly, any problems that start to arise can be stopped in their tracks and prevented from getting worse. We will also monitor your child’s teeth changes and developments as they grow up, allowing us to detect dental or orthodontic issues like crooked teeth and overcrowding early.
- Developing good oral habits: It’s never too early to start learning the importance of good oral hygiene. We can teach and provide you with the best and safest at-home methods to encourage healthy teeth. When you bring your child to our Swanton dental practice, they get to learn from professionals how to take good care of their teeth and know the right way of brushing and flossing to maintain healthy teeth and gums.
What Happens at Your Pediatric Dentist Appointment?
To prepare for your first visit, we recommend having your child watch an older sibling’s dental visit. Before their exam, we let your child take a ride in the magic chair and check out our magic light. At Believe Dental Care of Swanton, we’re pros at putting kids of all ages at ease, including toddlers, and we’ll make sure their check-up is quick, positive, and painless for you both. Here’s what you can expect at your kid’s dentist appointment at our practice:
- Professional teeth cleaning: Our hygienist will use scalers to remove tartar from the surface of the teeth, and a high-powered electronic brush and gritty toothpaste are used to polish and clean your child’s teeth.
- X-Rays and dental exam: We’ll take X-rays of your child’s mouth to get a clearer picture of what’s going on beneath the gums. The x-ray process won’t hurt at all, and it will be over quickly. Our dentists will then examine your child’s teeth and gums for visible cavities, abnormalities, or other issues.
- Additional treatment such as fluoride or dental sealants as recommended: Depending on whether or not your child has cavities or other problems, we may recommend additional dental treatments that can be done during the same appointment. If a more complicated procedure is necessary, we’ll schedule an additional appointment.
If your child is not ready when you come in for their dental appointment, we don’t want to force them. We can always reschedule and try again.
How Can You Prepare Your Child to Visit a Pediatric Dental Office?
Here are a few tips to help prepare for your children’s dentist appointments:
- Combine your dental visit with a fun activity afterward as a reward.
- Be positive about the dentist and never use the visit as a threat for not brushing their teeth!
- Bring your child in to talk to our friendly dentists before their appointment – this grows trust and builds a friendly relationship between your child and their dentist.
Pediatric Dentistry Cost
Insurance covers pediatric dentistry because it’s considered preventative care.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Children’s dental health is a priority for us at Believe Dental Care of Swanton. We have expert dentists for children, offering a range of dental cleaning services for our small patients. We always do our best to ensure the kids are as comfortable as possible. We explain what we are doing and the importance of the procedure they are having to understand the benefit of the visit. Contact us today to schedule your kid’s dental appointment!